Monday, February 11, 2013

Week 4: Short Stories

           This week in creative writing we started our section on fiction writing, specifically short stories. We looked quite a few of these stories. I am going to talk about what I learned in three of them.
           The first story that I found strangely interesting was survivors. It is about a homosexual couple that is arguing about who is going to die first from aids. I liked the way it was written, It was very descriptive. My favorite line is at the end where he says, "Let me die first, don't let me survive him". I thought this fit in perfectly with the mood of the story.
           The second story i found interesting in this packet was "The Colonel". I had no idea what this story was about until we discussed it in class. It was powerfully written and is probably more realistic than some of us think. I love when he drops the bag of ears on the table and how that symbolizes what would happen to people in the revolution.
           Finally, the last story that i felt we covered well in class and that i found interesting was "The List of Famous Hats". I personally think that Napoleon is a fascinating historical figure so I felt this story was actually pretty funny. I just imagine Napoleon in a white rubber bathing cap and it makes me laugh. The author did a great job with this story to make someone as feared as Napoleon seem rather silly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment