Monday, February 25, 2013

Creative Writing: Week 6

This week in creative writing our assignment was to write a blog post on a story we had done. I am going to do it on the Polaroids story/article. This was a very interesting and helpful piece that talked how writing a draft was like a polaroid camera. It takes awhile for the picture to become clear but, slowly but surely it gets more and more clear. The most helpful information was in the rest of the story with character, plot, and dialogue.
The first section on character opens up saying "Knowledge of your characters also emerges the way it takes time for a polaroid to develop: it takes time for you to know them." I found this a very helpful way to state it. It is shows that you should be learning about your characters as the story progresses. You may not even expect them to do what they do sometimes but it will just feel right. Characters are very tricky and they are a huge part of writing, you have to have characters that people want to read about.
The second part of this piece of writing talks about plot. The author states that "plot grows out of character." This was also helpful, the author goes on to say just worry about the characters not the plot and the story will write itself. When I have tried writing I have often been too focused on what the plot is and how it will end up but, I should have been worrying more about the characters.
The final section in this piece is about dialogue. The most helpful thing I read in this part was when the author talked about how you should be able to identify each character by the way he or she talks. In my own writing I need to work on having the characters have a more distinct tone to each of them so i should not even have to introduce them each time they are speaking.
All in all this was a very helpful piece of literature and it should help me in my own writing in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment