Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Creative writing: week 10


This week in creative writing we are taking a look at essay packet 2.  I will discuss and comment on three of the essays in the packet. They are; An Unspoken Hunger, The Art of Sighing, and Crumbling Expectations. I chose these three essays because they are written by three different authors and are written in varying styles as well.

The first essay I will talk about is also the first essay in the packet called, An Unspoken Hunger. It is a very short essay but it is perhaps the most vivid one I have ever read. As I read it I could literally see the knife slicing and swishing through the air cutting the avocado. It also painted a kind of scary picture at the end when he talks about eating the avocado with sharp silver blades.

Bernard Cooper wrote the second essay, he also wrote our beloved Maps to Anywhere. The way he weaves breath and breathing and life throughout this essay was masterful. I also loved at the beginning where he talks about trying to cup your hands together to hold a lake in it. It is a very deep and profound essay and you can tell he took a lot of thought writing this one. It is one of the better ones I have read by him.

The final story I wanted to comment on is Crumbling Expectations by Zach Savich. I liked this essay even though I found it a little strange. I thought it was neat how he titled it after a book his father wrote and then went on to describe the book in detail. It felt like a very personal story to him and I found it a little darker than some of the others for some reason. 

1 comment:

  1. ok, good, be a bit more specific and explain further for each...

    ReplyDelete